Peter Norris | Assignment Brief
Yesterday on the 3rd of November we were given our first and only (as far as we know) assignment from Peter Norris’s lectures. The assignment synthesis is to:
“Produce a market report detailing the market structure in the UK for a given choice of products”.
Fortunately we only have to aim for writing 750, however I am still feeling hesitant about this brief as I have no idea about how to write a successful market report. The hand in date for this assignment is the 8th December. To write the market report we are instructed to choice out of the following categories:
- Laptop Computers
- Snow Boards
So far I am leaning towards the magazine market.
- We must conduct market analysis and audits logically
- Demonstrate an ability to utilise market research data
- Acquire information from a variety of sources
- Presentation of a clarity report
In our lecture, Peter gave us advice and support for this assignment. He instructed us to first don’t attempt the entire market because it is important, we must be able to define it, and think what type of magazine shall I focus on? We must be able to demonstrate market structure such as the SWOT method and use sources like Mintel. It’s important that we do not write an essay with an argument and a short and strong statement with valid data to back it up.
- Executive summary (first and last thing you read, similar to an abstract)
- Report on… (Definitions) – don’t define as one product, choose 4 or 5 markets, e.g types of magazines.
- Imagery (optional) – Key suppliers, Location, Larger group, turnover
- Market analysis
- Use at least 3 resources
- Summary – key future issues?
For setting up the document, we have been instructed to use A4, justified text and full length lines to paragraph our text. Interestingly, Peter said that it is available to work in a group of 2 or 3. I’m not sure whether this would help or be more of a problem, but right now I know absolutely nothing about writing a market report. For this assignment, this isn’t a formative grade as such, but if you was to fail, you would be given the opportunity to improve.
I have not feeling confident with this assignment as it puts me out of my comfort zone. Hopefully if I undertake some research and pick Peter’s brains I will feel more comfortable with writing it.