E4 Sting Workshop: Cinema 4D

Today our tutorial with carried on from our previous work in the E4 Stitch project. The intention is create a poster on Cinema 4D promoting E4. I have already designed the content for my poster, and put it into a digital version, therefore I hoped that today would be relatively simple. However to my surprise Jay told us that this tutorial will involve setting up our “environment” in Cinema 4D and basically going through the basics are what to do in order to create a successful 3D rendered poster.

To begin the tutorial, Jay provided us with resources on unilearn. This included a summary of the tutorial intentions and an overview of what is to be achieved. In addition to this, there were images that were to be used such as the E4 logo. Rather than just the one copy there were different versions in which we found out later why. The provided images were on Illustrator, and Jay told us that when importing from illustrator to Cinema 4D, you need to do a certain type of set up in Illustrator so that it can be converted. This mainly involved saving it an an older version of Illustration; Adobe Illustrator 8, but we also had little adjustments to make such as the ruler measurements. Rather than being in cm, we needed mm.

After creating folders and sub-folders to categorize our work, we imported our logo into Cinema 4D, however on Cinema 4D it is called “merging”. It was important to have our document set up precisely before importing the E4 logo. This involved:

  • Setting the rendering format
  • Changing the dimensions to mm
  • Setting the rendering to the current frame
  • Adjusting the view mode by ticking “Action Safe” and “Tinted Order”.
  • Creating a floor and background for the logo to be placed onto.

With the logo imported, we scaled it to a larger size. This was an insight as to how it was going to be done, but after our break we were instructed to remove the logo and save this version as the template; therefore acting as just the environment. To make the environment more attractive, we added materials to the floor and background; this allowed us to have colour.  Next we added a compositing tag to the floor and ticked comp background on this tag.

Rather than importing the previous logo, now we were instructed to import 2 other versions of the logo. One version was the purple content of the logo, and the other was the white. We created an extrude nurbs object and dragged the purple logo onto extrude nurds. It was to important to select both parts of the logo in order for it to work so that then this could be repeated with the white logo. We then applied our colours by creating 2 materials – one white, one R110/G30/B125 which is the exact colour of the E4 purple.

The next part of the tutorial involved using type. This was done with the “Mograph/Motext” object tool. The tool allowed to to type in your chosen text and adjust it to how you want, e.g. Depth and Thickness. We then added a “bend” effect on our text. This was a pretty cool feature, and it allowed us to experiment with the settings of the effects. You could adjust the strength, angle, coordinates, thickness, etc. I only slightly curved the text and changed its angles so it was more perspective. The final touch and most difficult part of the tutorial was the Camera and the Light. However, after playing around I got it to a stage that I was pleased with. By using a camera and light, it makes the output look more professional.

Throughout the tutorial, I screen captioned my progress. Below shows each step in its chronological order. Next week, we hope to use this new found knowledge and create the poster to meet our designs.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Advertisements