What’s Important to me as a Creative and Designer?
Before my deadline in May I must create my own manifesto. For this I have done quite a lot of research, not only looking at existing Art manifestos, but different outputs. However, research aside, I thought it would be beneficial to simply write down on piece of paper the things that popped into my head when I asked myself “what’s important to me as a creative and designer?” The point of a manifesto really is for it to be personal, and have the freedom to write or say what you think about a chosen subject.
Below shows the list that I made in answering the above question.
- To have a multitude of skills
- To be willing to try something new
- To be daring and different
- Not to label yourself as just one thing- there is much more to you
- To critique, but not to judge
- Everyone has the freedom to express themselves
- Not to feel the need to shock or put yourself at danger. A good artist or design should be noticed without extreme methods.
- To find inspiration everywhere you go
- You don’t need to be a creative to be inspired
- You can be inspired by more than other creatives
- Not to be closed minded- there isn’t one only way of doing something
- Don’t rely solely on computers
- To experience life and capture it through visuals
- To be ambitious- have goals and achieve them
- Not to obsessive with money as a Graphic Designer. Yes, money is nice and we’d all like more, but you should be a designer for more important reasons.
- To have a keen eye for how things look
- To be opinionated, but know when to shut up
- To use white space
- To kern
- To experiment
- To research
- To stick to your gut feeling- they’ll always be somebody who has something bad to say. If you’re happy, be happy.
- Never think you’re perfect- there is always room for improvement
- Never settle- always aim for higher
- To explore- don’t just stick to what you know
- Reflect and think how to improve
- Make mistakes so you can learn from them
- Try not to overthink things
- Use technology, but don’t rely on it
- There is nothing wrong with product design. Design is design. You should try as much as you can to better yourself and broaden your knowledge.
- Do what makes you happy.
These came to the top of my head, and I strongly agree with all of them. That to me is what is important being a creative an designer. I hope to use these within my manifesto.